Types of Claims

We can deal with any type of property claim.


Leaking Pipes

Sometimes you may have a leak which is causing walls and ceilings to become damp but you don't know where it is coming from.

Damaged Floors

If your floor's been damaged by water we will ask insurers to always replace flooring with an equal quality. We will also ensure your sub floor, if damaged by the moisture, is fully dried and restored before installing any new flooring.

Damaged Interiors

When walls and ceilings have been damaged, everything behind them will usually be damp/wet. We will ensure your ceiling joists and wall plaster are fully dried first and restored before any decorating is undertaken.

Storm Damage

Under storm conditions insurers agree to cover internal damage if your roof has leaked providing you have adequate cover on your policy. We can help by carefully reviewing your policy and the weather conditions at the time of the leak to enable getting the cost of your internal repairs agreed.

Fire damage

If you have just had a fire or been affected by a neighbour's fire we can arrange an immediate surveyor visit and organise safe removal of debris. We will handle the first crucial meeting with insurer's loss adjusters to ensure that they cover everything from your alternative accommodation to restoration cleaning and building repairs

Flood damage

If you've had a flood (rather than a leak) it is vital to dry what's beneath the floor finish. We will agree with insurers the costs for a full strip out before arranging drying equipment to be installed. This is important to prevent mould from forming.

Gutters & Drains

If a gutter or drain is blocked it will cause water to overflow out of a manhole or internal toilet and contaminate walls or flooring. We ensure insurers your insurer covers costs for decontamination, drying and repair of all resultant damage.

Vehicle impact

This type of claim arises when a car, a van making a delivery in the area or a council truck has hit your property, or it's a hit and run type incident.

Malicious damage

Graffitti as a one time incident, broken glass or doors, a vandal incident such as your garden wall or gate being broken, or even tenants wrecking your property are looked on by insurers as malicious damage.

Get in touch

Request a callback

Want more details about the services we offer? Our team are ready and waiting to deal with your enquiry 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Simply call us us on 0203 011 2495 or fill in the enquiry form and we’ll call you back as soon as we can.


Don’t just take our word for it – take a look at glowing reviews from some of our happy customers.

I know that what my insurance company originally offered me was less than 1/5th the actual cost of repairs which they eventually paid to Allpropertyclaims, who I must say have done an absolutely fantastic standard of repairs. They even recovered my loss of rent.
Water damage to your property is very stressful but having a team negotiate with your insurer and providing skilled tradesmen at each stage made the whole experience much more bearable. I would not hesitate to recommend them.
Which Traders
All Property Claims also managed all of the repair work in a timely and professional manner. I would recommend the company to anyone who experiences similar such damage to their property and needs experienced support to navigate the claim process.
Which Traders