A leasehold owner of a flat in a council block had a large amount of water come through into her flat from a tenanted council flat upstairs. The ceilings and walls were soaked resulting in a high level of humidity throughout the property.
As the occupant upstairs was a council tenant, our client depended on the council property management to gain access and repair the leak. Our client's flat was small and as the affected bedroom could not be used as it was too humid and a health hazard, she was worried as to how long he family would have to squeeze into the other rooms.
How Allpropertyclaims Handled The Claim
We reported the facts of the incident along with costs to repair 48 hours after attending the property. We also took a sample of the ceiling in order to carry out an asbestos test as the ceiling had an artex finish. Owing to the degree of saturation in the ceiling structure, insurers agreed with us that it was imperative to install drying machines into the property almost immediately. Prior to installation we ensured that the source of the leak was properly identified and rectified by the council. We stripped off the ceiling plaster, in the affected areas while drying was in process and after a drying certificate was issues a full redecoration to the room took place.